You got me wrong -- I'm not into flames, I'm just trying to learn why all
database textbooks cling to theory related to SQL-based databases, teaching
1NF as if it were the only mathematically-valid approach.

> choosing only the failed conversions and ignoring
> the successful conversions will quickly be exposed.  A much better tactic
> is to stay positive and sell the benefits of whatever solution you are
> pushing, this would involve showing how easy it is convert to and from mv
> systems to other existing systems.

I'm really not in a selling mode, but a learning one.  I'd like to better
understand why companies are spending so much money on Oracle, for example,
and whether they think they are getting a good ROI on their investment or
simply don't know any better solution.

> A list of conversion failures might have nasty unintended consequences:
> it
> would show a future prospective mv customer once they chose a mv solution
> there was no way ever they would be able to leave.

I recognize that could be a possible conclusion that one could draw.  Since
I'm not looking to sell, but to understand, then if that is really the case,
then I want to better understand that too.  I might look like I'm selling,
but in this case I am really trying to understand why what I have learned
related to databases in my reading and what I have seen with my eyes are so
contradictory.  Cheers!  --dawn