Back in the days of 8-bit computing, before the rise of MS-DOS, back in the era of
CP/M, MP/M and the "trash 80", there was an operating system with an embedded database
called OASIS, with an enhanced BASIC that was aware of the database ..... I mention
this only as an historical note, as the environment evolved from an all-encompassing
operating system to simply a "database", called THOROUGHBRED .... lots of similarities
to Pick, right down to efficiency .... I remember seeing a 64K 4Mhz Z80 Altos system
driving 16 terminals.

If anyone is interested see www.tbred.com

Ross Ferris
Stamina Software
Visage  an Evolution in Software Development

<SNIP>
[Ross Ferris]
>The DICE system was not SQL but run under 'Thorobred' which is a 80x24
>colorized memory-mapped video system that comes across as windows. It was
>not GUI either but we MV programmers never got good at memory mapped video.
>Too bad as it's the basis for overlaying whole or partial screens with
>relative ease.
>
>my 1 cent.

---