Below is Lee's suggestion (post)...

In short, Lee is describes how to setup a Universe tape device that uses a file
instead of a block device for reading and writing the i/o stream.  Note, I do not
believe this will work on Windows (or so I've been told by Universe tech support, and
a few others).

The &DEVICE& file can be edited from the UV account.  I think there is a definition of
the attributes on the Universe Admin manual...  I can dig it up if you need it and
can't find it.  Basically, you are working on the same file when you create or change
a tape devices in Uniadmin or from the UV account menus.

There is nothing special about the path listed in attributes 2 and 7 -- they simply
point to a file to which the tape i/o stream should be written.  If the file does not
exist, you will want to do "touch /binarystar/MV.LASER/MvLaser.vtf" from the OS shell
to create the file.  Rather than use the "tape" command in attributes 10 and 11, I use
"echo < $tape".

I think attribute 3 is the default block size and attribute 16 is the maximum block
size for the device.

There is one big limitation and that is you can only write one contiguous segment to
the file.  Once you write an end-of-file the reference pointer goes back to the
beginning of the file.  Any subsequent writes will destroy the existing data in the
file.

Hopefully, this helps...

Tom Firl

<post>
Tom,
An easy way (if you are on a Linux/Unix box), would be to create a
pseudo-floppy drive
on your system in the &DEVICE& file
It should like like this:

     PF1
0001 Test1 Pseudo Floppy
0002 /binarystar/MV.LASER/MvLaser.vtf
0003 500
0004 F
0005
0006
0007 /binarystar/MV.LASER/MvLaser.vtf
0008
0009
0010
0011 tape rewind $tape
0012 tape rewind $tape
0013
0014
0015
0016 500
0017
0018
0019

Then you can
ASSIGN PF1 TO MTU 0
T-REW
T-LOAD FileName

If anyone has information on how to do this on a Windows platform, it would
be appreciated.

Thanks
Lee Bacall
http://www.binarystar.com