Because if the file is originally a multi-line flat file then when you read
the item, as you say CRs will get converted to @AM.
This gives you a multi-attribute record in memory. Each line of which I am
assuming needs to be parsed and turned into a record.
If the delimiter is an @VM then each attribute (line) can be extracted,
raised and converted into a record.
Possibly no more or less effective than any other method - he just said he
could "choose the format". Ideally that could also mean a U2 file but alas
that would probably be taking it too literally.
Stuart

This email message and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the use of addressed recipient(s). If you have
received this email in error please notify the Spotless IS Support Centre (61 3 9269
7555) immediately who will advise further action.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been scanned
for the presence of computer viruses.