Since it was said that the ELSE clause is being taken when a blink error
occurs, I am still not sure why this cannot be dealt with as before.
Recently it was stated that the need for ON ERROR in this situation was to
deal with allowing foreign systems to roll back and what not. In the ELSE
clause as with ON ERROR, STATUS() is set to indicate the potential problem.
If the error is a write error, then the error number returned comes from
SYS.MESSAGE. It does sound like in that circumstance, the issue can still
be dealt with. However, as Dave Meeks said, it is intended to fall over and
alert the user to the problem.

I couldn't find where this anything has changed in this area of our code,
nor could I reproduce the condition of it taking the ELSE clause.

Regards,

LeRoy F. Dreyfuss
Advanced Technical Services - U2 Technology Analyst
IBM U2 Data Management Solutions
Tel: 303-672-1254          Fax: 303-294-4832
Mobile: 720-341-4317
External email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW:  http://www.ibm.com/software/data/u2/support

www.ibm.com/software/data/u2/support - Open, Query, Update, Search -
Online!

Don't miss out on the IBM DB2 Information Management Technical Conference
September 19-24, 2004 - Las Vegas, NV

             "David Jordan"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             .au>                                                       To
             Sent by:                  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          cc
             stserver.u2ug.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [U2] [UV] File corruption
             07/26/2004 04:50          error, but ON ERROR branch not
             PM                        taken

             Please respond to
                 u2-users

The problem here is if the abort does not return through the On Error
clause, programmers cannot force roll backs on other applications, cannot
report errors to operators and support staff or in anyway gracefully stop
the application.  One of the main reason for the ON ERROR clause was to
deal
with fatal issues.  If this is not possible in the current structure of Uv
is there an alternative.

As software developers, our applications are compared to products on
Oracle,
DB2, etc.  Does DB2 just abort an application if it hits a corrupted table,
or does it return a message for products like MQ series, two phase commits
and other proceses to allow a gracefull close to an exit?

I would sugggest that this is something worth reviewing in enhancements as
it is becoming a major issue in mission critical applications.

Regards

David Jordan