Hi LeRoy

Although an immediate abort is probably ideal to prevent further damage to a
situation, the ON ERROR clause enables us to identify to operators and
support staff the issue that caused a problem as well as deal with
transactions with 3rd party database including roll backs, issues with web
services and message queques.

I had a scenrio, where an upgrade of UniVerse introduced a bug that caused a
fatal termination of UniVerse.  Not only was this difficult to debug, but
the fatal did not release the UniVerse licenses.  Trying to resolve the
issue remotely was a nightmare.  I eventually tracked down that the UniVerse
bug caused a file not to be opened when it should have been.  The next step
then started a transaction on an unassigned file variable and caused a fatal
that terminated the session without going through an on-error clause.  I
think an unassigned file variable could have gone to the on error clause
without causing any other damage.  (although the application had been tested
on the new release, the bug only occurred after the programs were compiled
on the new release)

Programmaticaly handling fatals, although not always easy, is highly
important for mission critical applications like 24x7 banking.

Regards

David Jordan