HW> Am I on the right track? Can someone tell me if:
HW> 1) My understanding of VMark (a vendor) and UniVerse (the DBMS)
correct?

Yes .. back several years this was true

HW> 2) If (1) is good, then is the IBM UniVerse DB the successor of the
VMark
HW> UniVerse DB?

Yes .. this is also true

HW> 3) If (2) is correct, then is there any tool or utilities that can
either
HW> (a) extract the structure and content of the database and perhaps
migrate
HW> them to another DBMS (Unix or Windows),

There are those of us (like myself and my associates) to do data
migration from/to MV/Sql and we have *some* tools which make the
conversion easier.  The real problem is understanding your current
*structure*.  Although there are *tools* which can help with this it
does take time to analyse.  Moving from the MV world (uniVerse) to the
relational world is not simple but doable .. the real work, as I
mentioned is the analysis.  Without good documentation on your system
this will take some time.

I would have to ask (not trying to sell either way), other than having
an old box that needs to be replaced .. are there any other reasons for
moving away from MV.  Does the application do all you need it to do.
Are the connectivity problems with other applications? OR are you
simply looking for an 'updated' system.

HW> or (b) let us understand the structure and content of the DB?

Once again, there are no specific tools that I know of for this process.
 Those of us in the business have our own tools to do this type of
thing.

Possibly a better understanding of where you are trying to get to would
help us give a better answer.

DSig
David Tod Sigafoos
SigsSolutions, Inc.