Charles Stevenson goes on:
[snipping the bit about tolerance]

>Do you know why dimensioned arrays were first limited to only 1 or 2
>dimensions in Pick or Info-Basic?

There was probably some concern about memory consumption way back when MD
and Pick ran with only 64KB of core. I think it was just simpler for the
designers to set a low limit. It looks like the subsequent designers never
anticipated adding more dimensions, rather they focused on backward
compatibility (which in this case has multiple interpretations).

>Would it be a terrible complication to the compiler to allow as many
>dimensions as the programmer needs?

There are two complications: modifying the compiler and modifying the run
machine. Modifying any of the compilers to support additional dimensionality
would be easy. Modifying the existing op-code structures, descriptors, and
run machines are likely a huge challenge these days. This type of
extensibility needs to be thought of in the early development stages.

Best regards,
Gyle

P.S. I designed URMA with support for 2^31 dimensions. Yeah, I know, after
about 9 dimensions, you probably run out of memory today. Who knows, maybe
terabytes of memory will be cheap tomorrow. The motto was, do not limit the
design to today's technology.