[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In a message dated 5/16/2005 5:00:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Yes. But it only works when stepping through an array in a READNEXT fashion. So if you're accessing fields in random order (as a lot of my code does) you gain nothing.

No it does work even when you access the dynamic array in random order. It then
provides an alternative starting point for the search to use instead of character 1.

I'm not sure this is accurate.
This would imply that not only would the run-time engine have to maintain a pointer to the last cell referenced, but also it would have to maintain a register telling it the cell number of this cell (not just its offset). So it needs two variables. I've never heard that it actually uses two variables to accomplish this.
Perhaps someone in the internals could answer that question.
So again, it would need one variable to tell it the offset (example: my last reference ended at character 96 of the string ... or position 2345 of the frame, or something of that sort); AND another variable to tell it the cell number (example: my last reference was to cell number 4).
Otherwise, random access into a dynamic array would not be improved by the method talked about in this thread.
Will Johnson
-------

Well it already needs both variables in the 'sequential' access too !

How would it even know that the access is for the next atrribute if it didn't keep track of the index?

-- mats