-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mark Johnson
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2005 9:54 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] THE variable names

This ain't rocket science but it piques my curiosity.

I've just acquired another client who's system contains an extrodinary
use of the prefix THE in front of extracted values within a FOR/NEXT or
LOOP and labels.

READ CUST FROM blah, blah
C=DCOUNT(CUST<15>,@VM)
FOR I=1 TO C
     THE.SALESMAN=CUST<15,I>
NEXT I

I've seen this before but not to the extent on this client. The
application appears older (mid 1980's) and certainly homegrown.

I'm just wondering who comes up with this stuff.

Also, was there ever any lack of faith in the READ statement when
assigning the variable REC. I'm now seeing some of this:

REC="" ; READ REC FROM FILE, ID ELSE REC=""

Again, not rocket science.

Thanks