What does the L_filename look like? It stores all of the records written
to the file while the index was disabled. Perhaps a permission issue on
it?

Is the file in use while you are doing this? The disable.index won't
come into effect on a file until it is closed in basic - perhaps that's
also true of enable.index. Perhaps a trigger on the file is keeping it
"open."

The basic command INDICES() may also provide some more info/clues.

At this stage you may have to remove the index and rebuild it.

Sorry, not much help. Once I found the disable.index caused the entire
record to be written to the log each time it was updated I realized it
was not going to work for us. There was a problem with the udtsort.exe
and indexes - but I think that might have been an earlier version.

Colin Alfke
Calgary, AB