Okay, here's some specifics about the problem I'm experiencing:

Alternate Key Index Details for File BIN.QUEUE            Page   1

File..................  BIN.QUEUE

Alternate key length..  35

Node/Block size.......  4K

OV blocks.............  1 (0 in use, 0 overflowed)

Indices...............  1 (0 D-type)

Index updates.........  Enabled, No updates pending

Index-Name......  F-type K-type Built Empties Dups In-DICT S/M
F-no/VF-expr....
BTREE_DEFAULT     V      Txt    Yes   Yes     Yes  Yes     M
OCONV(@ID,"G0!5"
                                                               )

---------------

Keys in this file look like this:

---------------

LIST BIN.QUEUE 11:49:34 AUG 25 2005 1

BIN.QUEUE.....................

001!001!O!13738!AAL2C!AAL2C

001!001!C!13591!XL2C!XL2C

001!001!C!13591!XM2A!XM2A

001!001!C!13591!XN3C!XN3C

001!001!C!13591!XO3A!XO3A

001!001!C!13591!XP2B!XP2B

001!001!C!13591!XP4C!XP4C

---------------

Therefore, given that BTREE_DEFAULT is OCONV(@ID,"G0!5") these two
SELECT statements should return the exact same results:

---------------

:SELECT BIN.QUEUE WITH BTREE_DEFAULT = "001!001]"

671 records selected to list 0.

>CLEARSELECT

:SELECT BIN.QUEUE WITH @ID = "001!001]"

638 records selected to list 0.

---------------

And as you can see, they return different things.

And immediately after this test and a subsequent CLEARSELECT:

---------------

Alternate Key Index Details for File BIN.QUEUE            Page   1

File..................  BIN.QUEUE

Alternate key length..  35

Node/Block size.......  4K

OV blocks.............  1 (0 in use, 0 overflowed)

Indices...............  1 (0 D-type)

Index updates.........  Enabled, No updates pending

Index-Name......  F-type K-type Built Empties Dups In-DICT S/M
F-no/VF-expr....
BTREE_DEFAULT     V      Txt    Yes   Yes     Yes  Yes     M
OCONV(@ID,"G0!5"
                                                               )

---------------

Note the "Enabled, No updates pending".  Then following a BUILD.INDEX
BIN.QUEUE ALL:

---------------

:BUILD.INDEX BIN.QUEUE ALL

One "*" represents 1000 records

Building "BTREE_DEFAULT" ...

 671 record(s) processed.

:SELECT BIN.QUEUE WITH @ID = "001!001]"

642 records selected to list 0.

>CLEARSELECT

:SELECT BIN.QUEUE WITH BTREE_DEFAULT = "001!001]"

642 records selected to list 0.

And though it was corrected via the BUILD.INDEX, it won't last.
Here's what's sitting @ AIX:

$ ls -l *BIN.QUEUE

-rwxrwxrwx   1 root     ud           278528 Aug 25 11:55 BIN.QUEUE

-rwxrwxrwx   1 root     ud            49152 Aug 24 13:01 D_BIN.QUEUE

-rwxrwxrwx   1 root     ud           110592 Aug 25 11:54 X_BIN.QUEUE

$

Though I didn't illustrate it, there was no L_ item prior to the
BUILD.INDEX.  And unfortunately I can't change the programming to
factor out this index due to the way the vendor application has been
programmed.  Getting this index to be reliable seems to be the only
solution.

Also there are no triggers on this file.

Help?

P.S. Are there any logs available in Unidata that might illustrate
some faults in the indexing processor?

-K