I had a site years ago where something like this was happening.  The server
was in one office and remote end-users were connected over a multiplexor.
Various @ sequences were interpreted by the MUX rather than being forwarded
to the end-user.  For one particular sequence, a simple @(13) to reference
column 13 of the current line, we had to update all programs to move screen
data over by one character - there was no way to get around having the MUX
translate that sequence into a ctrl-S to lock the port.

Anyway, this might not be your exact problem but it may point in the right
direction.  That is, something else like a device driver or communications
line may be translating those characters for you.  It could also just be
shot firmware in the printer - did you test with different workstations and
printers?

HTH