That is the one thing that is the most Jurrasic about MV systems, the INPUT
statement. It's a shame that it needs so many home-grown methods that try to
match with the language's IN or GET statements with the specific emulator's
expressions of the characters being typed (and filtered).

I wish the emulators themselves included a platform specific subroutine that
could be easily edited as a replacement for the INPUT statements. I have
successfully created a Wintegrate version emulating Adds-VP but there are so
many combinations. GET.ANS()

I know that some VAR's have developed their own configurable subroutines and
attempted to emulate the very consistent Microsoft Textbox input scenario.
In this case MS got it right. Every input behaves very much like every other
with the special keys.

I believe that this should be accomplished by the providers themselves, ie
Raining Data and IBM in their future releases. They already interpet the
TERM setting and it would remove the differences. I took my GET.ANS and
tried to fit it on Accuterm and couldn't get the proper backspace.

I'm not looking for code solutions now so please do not provide. I'm just
suggesting that this 15 year old pursuit for a consistent INPUT interface be
drawn to a close by the providers and not downstream by the VARs or
individual programmers. Gone is the day where an employee's first brush with
a keyboard is our old clunky Wyse-50. Virtually every new employee is coming
from the MS interface and I am sick of having to write filter routines for
the control characters. It doesn't look good to the users either.

My 2 cents.
Mark Johnson