Walter & Team,

I'm sure you're going to get flooded with posts now, because there is
quite a lot of passion about the Multi-value database model, and you'll
find this community extremely helpful.  I am so glad y'all are
considering an MV based app.

Installing PE UV was an excellent start.  For your staff to look around
and start creating some files [read Tables] you ought to buy a copy of
"How To Access", by Harvey Rodstein.  Talk to Monica at International
Spectrum and she will send you the electronic version, just released.
http://www.intl-spectrum.com

Here is a link to some on-line publications:
http://www.jes.com/olbooks.html  Especially helpful to your programmers
would be Jonathan Sisk's Programmer's Guide.  This would be your
starting point to understand the UV-Basic language, and how to play with
multi-values ("nested tables" in Oracle [8 or later] lingo).

If you want to see a pretty exhaustive list of all books ever written on
the subject, go to:
http://www.jes.com/picklist.html  This list has not been updated in
recent years, I don't think, so there may be additions.

The best news about your initial steps, is that whatever you learn from
Harv's book, or commands you pick up by even gleaning non-UniVerse
publications - will work on UV.  There are many nuances of the various
'flavors' of the MV db model, but only worry about that when you get
alot deeper.  Only when your programmers get seasoned and begin to
leverage the UV nuances do you need to worry with that.  If you can
navigate one MV database, you can navigate them all.

If you want to see something about the [sometimes spicey] history of the
MV model, go to:
http://www.tincat-group.com/mv/familytree.html  BTW - [in somewhat
hushed tone] this all started as something called "Pick" but everyone
around here prefers to speak of either Multi-value industry or the U2
(standing for UniData and UniVerse, both now owned by IBM but have
divergent genealogy).  Pick is now D3 and well ....  let some other
folks check in now.

Hope you have fun.  MV is a blast.

R. Baker Hughes
UniVerse Programming