I'm able to use BCI (UniBasic SQL Client Interface) with one statement
environment, but when I try to add a second one it stops working.

The manual says "You allocate the SQL statement environment with the
SQLAllocStmt function. This function allocates memory for an SQL
statement environment and returns its address, or handle, in a
variable. You can establish more than one SQL statement environment
for the same connection environment."

If I remove the query, then the update works.  Both the query and the
update work fine if I paste them into a SQL query tool.

Is there something else I need to do to get multiple statement
environments to work?

Code:
STATUS = ''
STATUS<-1> = SQLAllocEnv(database.env)
STATUS<-1> = SQLAllocConnect(database.env,connection.env)
STATUS<-1> = SQLConnect(connection.env, DATASOURCE, USERNAME, PASSWD)

STATUS<-1> = SQLAllocStmt(connection.env,query.stmt.env)
STATUS<-1> = SQLAllocStmt(connection.env,update.stmt.env)
GOSUB CHECK.STATUS

;* Try querying before updating...
STATEMENT = 'select * from FoundationFamilyDataCollection'
CRT STATEMENT
STATUS<-1> = SQLExecDirect(query.stmt.env,STATEMENT)
MSG = 'Executing query'
GOSUB CHECK.STATUS

DATESTAMP = OCONV(@DATE,"D4/MDY")
STATEMENT = "UPDATE tPAMemberInfo SET updatedDatetime =
'":DATESTAMP:"' WHERE rowId = '1'"
CRT STATEMENT
STATUS<-1> = SQLExecDirect(update.stmt.env,STATEMENT)
MSG = 'Executing update'
GOSUB CHECK.STATUS

Output:
: XWDS.TEST.BCI.WRITE
select * from foundationfamilydatacollection
UPDATE tPAMemberInfo SET updatedDatetime = '02/08/2006' WHERE rowId = '1'
STATUS IS -1
MSG IS Executing update
ERROR, STOPPING.

Thanks,