It may sound like a bizarre formula but we are able
to control this scenario. We have a background process
that runs 24x7. It checks for tasks to do, then goes to
sleep, wakes up and checks, etc.  If there is some task
that needs doing, the phantom process, starts another
phantom process and that phantom process starts the
actual process that does the work.

    So phantom  watchdog  starts a phantom ph.start.
ph.start's only task is to start phantom.to.do.actual.work.

This method seems to dramatically keep defuct and zombie
processes to a substantial minimum.

Barry  Rogen
PNY Technologies, Inc.
Senior  Programmer/Analyst
(973)  515 - 9700  ext 5327

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win
glorious triumphs even though checkered by
failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live
in the gray twilight that knows neither victory
nor defeat.                t. roosevelt