From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of John Storm
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 7:48 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] Serious problem with open files

All,

We are an application service provider running our application
dedicated on Universe. We are doing this for many years already but
with one of our accounts we have now hit a problem that we are unable
to explain.

There are 2 distinct problems that one some levels seem related in
some ways but in others not at all.

Problem one, one particular big report opening many (some distributed)
files hits some sort of maximum and then fails with:

Unable to open pipe for tsort process.
[EMFILE] Too many open files

During the "open" statement trying to open one more file. A problem is
that this specific error is not reproducible on different systems
running the same Universe/OS/Application versions.

The second problem is that at certain points in time the whole
universe environment freezes, every process that tries to do a "open"
statement hangs indefinitely, the processes are not killed even when
users disconnect, leading pretty quickly to a "out of licenses"
situation.

The two seem related in the fact that both problems have to do with
the "open" statement however the effects are rather different.

Running on Solaris 10 with Universe 10.1.18 on Sparc hardware.

I'm hoping that this sounds familiar to you and that you might have
found a solution to this problem if so, please help! (actually I'm
hoping for you that you are not familiar with the problem as it is a
rather nasty one ;-))

Any insights are a appreciated, more information can be provided if
that were to be helpful.

Regards,

John Storm