> Is there a way to read from a file from within a Paragraph ?

Jerry's answer is generally easiest:
  <<A,F(filename,recordname,attribute,value,subvalue),variablename>>
or  <<F(filename,recordname,attribute,value,subvalue),variablename>>
___________________

Re. Brian's program idea:

Good idea for more complicated stuff.
You can pass data back to the paragraph via
- @USER0 thru @USER4
- @USER.RETURN.CODE
- @SYSTEM.RETURN.CODE
- in an active select list
  - numbered 1-10 automatically
  - select list 0 if the program is catalogued & in VOC with a K in <4>.
- You can populate an in-line prompt using the ILPROMPT() basic
function.
  The paragraph calls a program that does:
    DATA 'whatever'
    HUSH ON
    dum = ILPROMPT( '<<A,This is a prompt>>' )
    HUSH OFF
  Then <<This is a prompt>> containing 'whatever' will be available to
the PA.
___________________

Re.  VAL=TRANS("FILENAME","RECORDID",FIELDNUMBER,"OPTIONS") :

Not immediately useable by a paragraph, but theoretically you could bury
it in an EVAL (or I-descriptor) then SELECT some arbitrary record in an
arbitrary file for the express purpose of running the I-descriptor &
returning its result in the active select list, incidentally setting
@SELECTED to 0 or 1 along the way:

    SELECT VOC SAMPLE 1 _
      [ WITH [selection criteria, maybe including an EVAL ] _
      RETURNING EVAL
"TRANS('FILENAME','RECORDID',FIELDNUMBER,'OPTIONS')"
    IF @SELECTED > 0 THEN ...

The technique might prove useful if the EVALs were more complicated than
a simple TRANS().
(VOC & SAMPLE 1 are innocent bystanders used solely to get the query to
execute the EVAL.)