[snip]

> Problems on the freechain usually manifest as "nothing wrong
> with the file" until you hit the overflowed group or
> oversized record that points to this particular secondary
> group buffer.

Sounds like I should only ever see an error like this when writing to an
existing hashed file.  Because I'm still getting it even with a newly
created and empty hashed file, and with a newly created and empty type
19 file, I'm thinking there might be a bug in 10.2.7 related to writing
large records.  I think I'll write a test program to write records with
incemental size and see if I can reproduce the same error.

Thanks,
John