Arrggh!  The programmer was using a different file name in the code than
the one that was actually opened, so I've been looking at the wrong file
the whole time.  That will teach me to make assumptions based on our
naming conventions.  The real file was type 30 and resizing it fixed the
problem.

Thanks,
John