There is no function like the T correlative to translate to an indexed file
from a dict item, so you will need to do in BASIC as an I-type. The command
is BSCAN, e,g.

BSCAN BVAL,ID.LIST FROM FV,ID USING FIELDNAME ELSE BVAL = ""

ID.LIST contains an AM delimited list of keys to records in file FV than
"match" ID in FIELDNAME.
BVAL  is the value of the indexed attribute that matches ID. If there was no
match, then BVAL will be the next indexed value past ID, so I always test if
BVAL = ID.
FV is the open file variable to the indexed file.
ID is the value you are searching for in the indexed FIELDNAME.
FIELDNAME is the name of the indexed fields in FV (e.g. CREATE.INDEX MYFILE
FIELDNAME).

A "BY SEQ" clause is optional, SEQ is either "A" or "D" for ascending or
descending, (ascending is the default).

See HELP BASIC BSCAN

I usually loop on BSCAN until BVAL NE ID. I am not sure if that is always
necessary.

I use I-types that incorporate BSCAN to return values from indexed files all
the time. It works great.

/Scott Ballinger
Pareto Corporation
Edmonds WA USA