Steve Ferries wrote:
Hi All,

We had some excitement today when we ran a program with READU, with the
associated WRITE commented out. In no time at all (these RS6000s are
fast!), the system froze.  I had a login and some UniVerse commands
worked, but others did not. LIST.READU showed one user with thousands of
locks and that is how we identified the program.

<snip>

Directly underneath the commented out WRITE, add a RELEASE statement.

In such circumstances, I typically code something like:
*DBG   WRITE PEOPLE.REC ON PEOPLE.FILE, PEOPLE.ID
       RELEASE PEOPLE.FILE, PEOPLE.ID    ;*  DBG

And when I'm finished debugging, I just uncomment the write, and comment the release.

--
Allen Egerton
aegerton at pobox dot com