What is the most reliable way to generate unique sequential keys without
having to resort to a record on disk updated through readu/write? The keys
don't have to be contiguous but only be sortable in the order in which they
were generated by several phantom processes running concurrently. I'm
currently approximating this using a concatenation of date and time with
millisecondsB but I'm worried about the possibility of two phantoms generating
exactly the same key.
Although no collision has been detected so far, I
have added an extra check where after generating the key I first test if a
record with that key exists. If so IB increment and append aB serial number
and repeat the test until aB unique key is found. ItB seems to be working well
but I still think there is a better way to do this.
Thanks for any help.
Marco.