Apologies if this has already been said but I have not been following this thread too closely.

D3 has a SYSTEM(19) function that does what you are wanting, returning the date/time with a suffix added if any user has already generated the same key. Unfortunately, UV implements SYSTEM(19) as something different.

It should not be too difficult to do this using the GCI mechanism. The actual code to do this is simple (we recently implemented SYSTEM(19) in QM and it took only a few minutes to do). The code needs to maintain a shared memory record of the last timestamp value for which it was called and the suffix if one was added. Then, using a semaphore to ensure that it is single threaded, a call to the GCI function would create the new key, updating the shared memory.

I admit to never having written a UV GCI function but the documention seems to suggest that it is easy.

Martin Phillips
Ladybridge Systems Ltd
17b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton, NN4 6DB
+44-(0)1604-709200 -------