In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, doug chanco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
hey all,
I have "heard" bad things about using dynamic files versus hashed/static ones. Can anyone share any thoughts on which is better (in particular on a system where the files grow at a fairly steady rate).

The "bad" things may date from the early days of UV. I never heard anything bad about the INFORMATION implementation, but the rumour was VMark were very keen to buy PI to fix the bugs in their own implementation.

I always understood that dynamic files were best on files that did not change "that much that fast " as the constant need to resize would outweigh the manual effort of resizing the files manually (or with a program).

I think you've got that arse about face, actually. Static files are best where they don't change that fast, because you can optimise the algorithm to the data. Dynamic files are supposedly best for files that either (a) grow indefinitely, or (b) are very volatile.

The cost of resizing a dynamic file is actually very small.

I am looking for insight (or where to find some insight) on universe and best file practices (right now I am reading the system description manual and its helping but lacks insights that I am sure some of the old pickies on here have)

For files that "just grow", use dynamic.

For files that are volatile, use dynamic (and consider setting a MINIMUM.MODULUS based on their typical size).

For files that don't change much, use dynamic (why bother worrying about sizing it accurately, when dynamic files will do a pretty good job anyway).

Note that, by default, UV is not very aggressive at shrinking files so the chances are a "not very volatile" file will almost never be resized.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
'Yings, yow graley yin! Suz ae rikt dheu,' said the blue man, taking the