Dave:

I'm guessing the crux of the issue is ensuring completely unique numbers for
spooler
entries.  In UD we use "BANNER UNIQUE" to append the user name to a date/time
stamp
and add ".txt" to the end (you know how stupid other software can be).  We
pause for
a second to make sure no two entries have the same number.  According to the
UniVerse
documentation:

BANNER [ name ]
In mode 1, a banner page is not produced unless the Windows printer has been
configured to do so. If you do not specify name, the Windows printer banner is
produced. If you specify name, it appears on the second line of the banner page,
after the user name. The banner name appears as the job name in the Windows
Print
Manager.
In mode 3, specifies the record ID of the record in &HOLD& which stores the
report.
If you do not specify name, the record ID is P#0000. If you specify name, it is
the
record ID of the output record. In either case, each subsequent print job uses
the
same record ID and overwrites the previous job.
BANNER NEXT [ name ]
In mode 3, appends a sequential number to the name under which successive
reports are
created in &HOLD&. If you do not specify name, the record ID is P#0000_nnnnnn,
where
nnnnnn is increased for each new print job. If you specify name, the record ID
is
name_nnnnnn.
BANNER UNIQUE [ name ]
In mode 3, appends a sequential number to the name under which successive
records are
created in &HOLD&. If you do not specify name, the record ID is P#0000_nnnnnn,
where
nnnnnn is increased by each subsequent SETPTR command. If you specify name, the
record ID is name_nnnnnn

...which indicates one can do the same thing by using just BANNER {name}.  This
should provide enough capability to ensure each report is unique.

Have I misunderstood the OP's requirements?

Bill