Larry - I didn't recognize up front that you were talking about
UD as webservice client.  However the solution is the same.
Creating a web service client and/or only takes a couple seconds
(as seen in the video).  This is how our products work - we write
an item to a file that's polled every second or so, the data is
pulled into a middle-tier, then it's passed to a web service and
the result is passed back through the same channel.  The MV DBMS
never needs to speak to a web service.  There's no SOAP, no XML,
no protocols, no xerxes libs or xalan - and to move data to a
relational DBMS we never use VSG, ODBC, or flatten data.  The
value-add that we provide is to make the entire process available
through well-defined BASIC subroutines so that the MV developer
doesn't need to know anything at all about "how" an external
interface works.  I don't know why people are so absolutely
fixated on spending all of this time to make the MV environment
do all of these things when there are non-MV tools (free and
otherwise) that specialize in doing them.

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com