We have our two production servers in a cluster sharing the same disk
array.  The disks are in a 3-way mirror so if we experience a hard drive
failure, the system should remain up.  Either system in the cluster can
access the disk array - but of course, only one system can control it at
a time.

Each system in the cluster has its own OS and we copy certain data from
the active server to the passive server each night - data such as
logins, passwords, certain files under /etc, and because we have
Universe certain files under our UV home directory.  The nightly copy
process keeps all the OS related data in sync.  Remember, all our
database files are on the disk array which is always available to both
systems - so no nightly or hourly backing up of that data is needed.

Every first of the month we switch between the systems.  This does two
things for us. First, it makes sure the passive system is still working
and is ready to go in case of a failure.  Second, it makes sure we're
copying all the necessary OS level files as needed - which we discovered
after a few times that we forgot a few UNIX level files.

For networking purposes we had to create new IP address that always
point to whichever system is active in the cluster.  Then we had to push
that IP out to all our users.  So there was some setup pain, but once
everyone and every device was pointing to the new IP address, we haven't
had any problems.

There were some pretty big costs also - we had to purchase additional
Universe licenses for the "backup" system - we got them at a reduced
cost, but still, it seems silly to have to pay for licenses that will
always be offline.  We also had the same issue with every other software
license we have on the active server - but I believe we were able to get
them all at a cheaper rate.

Barry Rutherford
Programmer / Analyst
MobilexUSA