very interesting points, email me at my home address and lets talk price (mostly for some examples/ideas/etc)

dougc

Tony G wrote:
From: doug chanco
...I would like to develop an in house iphone app that our users can use to query our database for prices/quantity available and sadly Apple only allows socket access to the closed iphone OS.

Use a web service from Objective C, which is relatively easy with
iPhone.  (Offer to assist can be inferred.)  Separate the client
from the server.  iPhone apps have nothing to do with data
access.  Create a web service and you can use it from any client.
Think indirectly and the world can open up for you.  :)

If anyone has a pick server socket solution they would like to share I'd appriciate it (answering requests and spawning a program to handle each incoming request)

If you can deal with a single threaded server it might work.
Unfortunately in the MV world I don't believe you will be able to
fork off processes like an HTTP server.

otherwise I may go the route of moving the socket server to the OS (using init.d to handle incoming requests and to spawn a program to handle each request).

Hmm, that sounds like...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mvwww/
(My name is there but Glen did ALL the work)

Modify your perspective and you can have a solution in a week.
The current line of inquiry is more likely to lead to weeks or
months of searching, angst, and failure.

Good luck.
Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com