Warning to sensitive readers - as well as providing other
on-topic information, in this posting I mention a product that I
sell, and will offer services. *good grief*

> > Sage words from: Symeon Breen
> > My only comment on this is don't go writing socket
> > code just for this - just write a wrapper round the
> > uniobjects code ... DAL...BLL...

> From phil walker
> Maybe someone could put an example of this on the U2ug
> website, or Brian could include it in his training
> materials if he has not already so that people have an
> idea how to accomplish this ;-).

Phil - The practice of separating the UI and DBMS is a Design
Pattern called MVC or Model-View-Controller.  There are many
websites and books dedicated to the topic, and lots and lots of
examples in any language you wish.  I've described the concept in
my blog here:
nospamNebula-RnD.com/blog/tech/2006/06/mvc.html
(please remove the 'nospam' prefix, thanks)

I've also mentioned the patten in several blog entries and
articles including the following:
nospamNebula-RnD.com/blog/tech/2007/02/soa1.html
nospamNebula-RnD.com/blog/tech/mv/2008/05/starterkit1.html
nospamNebula-RnD.com/blog/tech/mv/2008/11/mvcodegen2.html
nospamNebula-RnD.com/spectrum/is903.htm

> > from Doug:
> > > We want to explore other connection options that are
> > > not tied to uniobjects so that if we decide to switch
> > > from universe to say database "x" we can do so easier.

Doug, you have stated that you want to cut costs, allow for
migration, and account for doing things that existing components
do not:

- About costs, you are already in contact with BlueFinity about
mv.NET.  That is the "few hundred bucks" solution that I
mentioned earlier.  I'll be happy to discuss mv.NET with anyone
else.

- mv.NET also works for all MV platforms with no changes to your
client-side code.  My company sells and supports mv.NET and I use
it for all MV development so that I don't need to worry about
which DBMS is under my client.  For all projects I work with a
DAL - the UI is then able to work with SQL Server, Amazon
SimpleDB, or other data sources - and this is how I get our
products to integrate MV with everything else.

- As far as functionality that you might feel is missing, perhaps
a key factor here is that no one here really knows what
functionality you find is missing from other offerings.  Frankly
I'm not sure you know yet either - it looks like you're just
trying to cover the bases in case you do find limitations.
That's a tough way to make technical decisions.  If you can cite
some feature that is missing from other connectivity components
then we might agree that sockets is indeed the way to go.
Otherwise the response seems to be consistent: don't bother.

My recommendation to Doug and anyone else contemplating new
multi-tier development is as follows:

1) Write your application UI using UO.NET or UOJ, depending on
your client technology.  Get it working and get feedback from
your users on a finished v1.0 development project.

2) If connectivity seems to be an issue and you're using .NET,
try substituting mv.NET.  It's tough to pitch mv.NET to someone
who has never used UO, but once you know the limitations of UO,
it's relatively easy to understand where mv.NET provides value.
(This is where we get a number of calls that start "we've been
using UO.NET but...".)  Just remember that mv.NET uses UO.NET as
a basic connectivity pipe and provides significant value above
that.

3) If you still want to understand sockets and work on a custom
socket interface.  Do it on your own time and not as part of a
deliverable project.  (It will be very costly and will delay
other projects if connectivity becomes the predicate project.) If
and when your socket interface is complete, substitute it in the
DAL tier and see how it goes.  If it needs work, swap the
original DAL back.

If you need help to work your way around this stuff, this is
exactly how I spend every day of my working life.  As with tools
that help to keep your development costs low, you should consider
getting assistance from people who can provide assistance and
maybe even build some base code for you.

HTH
Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com
Nebula R&D sells mv.NET and other Pick/MultiValue products
worldwide, and provides related development services