Oh, you didNot say GOTO...

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Charles Stevenson
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:39 PM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: [U2] Mixed Case UV Basic Programming Standards.

I don't like the way I use mixed case, so it tends to evolve.  Not good,
because consistency in programming style throughout an application makes
for easier maintenance, & maintainability is the god of software quality.

So I am wondering how others use mixed case.
Do you capitalize/lower/mix case for  commands? Operators? Variables?
Equates? etc.
How do you use/not use special characters in variable names?

For example:
   readu OrderMaster from ORDER.MASTER, OrderMasterId locked ...
   readU OE_rec from OE_f, OE_id  locked ...
   ReadVU OE_Date From ORDER.MASTER, OE$Id,  OE$Date Locked ...
   READU order.master.rec( oe$date ) FROM order.master.file,
order.master.id LOCKED ...
That sort of thing.

I hesitate to even ask this for fear of starting a war. So ground rules
for this thread:

1. NOT about MERITS of Uppercase only vs. Mixed Case programming.
     I am only interested in answers from people who actually use mixed
case.
2. NOT about GOTO.  Take it outside.
3. This is about PREFERENCE, NOT SUBSTANCE.
     By "substantive" I mean rules like:
        - Only open a file once.
       - Readu should always have a locked clause.
     By "preference" I mean stuff like my example.  They are all
functionally equivalent.
4. NO ARGUMENTS about whether someone's style is good or bad, or yours
is better.
       Explaining why you do it a certain way is helpful, though.
       Just remember, when it comes to preferences, no two programmers
will agree,
       yet consistent style, whate'er it be, increases maintainability.

Thanks,
Chuck Stevenson