Harold

You might want to look at splitting out some of those index records, e.g.
where you have 10,000 fields in an index for CRIME, split this into CRIME,
CRIME-1, CRIME-2 etc. with a maximum number of entries per index. Otherwise
you are not going to get efficient storage at those sizes: if they are in a
directory file these can be slow scanning and clashing on the lock table,
and of course in a hashed file they will be in out of line overflow - again,
slowing access. You can also adopt a scheme where, for example, the first
entry in the base record holds the last sequence number of the series, so
you don't have to read the intermediate ones when appending..

I realize this will mean changing the search routines, but it might help in
the long run.

I would also definitely echo what the others have said about sequentially
accessing the source descriptions.

Brian