G'day Baker,

Just thinking in the sandbox, with no 4Tb databases to be found, BUT (as
usual) there may be many aspects to the answer

My initial thoughts would be that avoiding running a subroutine to
determine part file for EVERY write and non-sequential READ would
represent a saving "per transaction". I would assume that such a large
file is probably (should be?) well indexed, so there are likely to be
some gains on that front.

HOWEVER, if the file is primarily used for reporting, and the parts have
been crafted with this in mind, I could see there may be situations were
being able to "cheat" and deal directly with a part file could be
advantageous.

However, my gut feel (with sand grit in my teeth) is that the larger
64bit file would win out in most circumstances, but like I said, I don't
have a play thing that large at hand :-)

Ross Ferris
Stamina Software
Visage > Better by Design!