To: "U2 Users List" <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:21 AM
Subject: Re: [U2] Converting from mvBase to Universe

A "nailed port" in this context means that someone initiating a telnet
(style) session to a non-standard port (lets say 5123) would ALWAYS be
logged in as a fixed/known user number (say "user number 123"), rather
than assigned a pseudo-random PID. By having your terminal emulator
setup to use a specific port, you get something akin to the days of
serial lines, where a wire from your terminal would always have you
coming in on a fixed "port" (or user) number.

Using this, some people (the OP included I'm guessing) would activate
features based on this port number. "Back in the day" our tools were
used in a DOD project (SASPers) and some facilities were only available
from known/secured locations, as determined by a signal running along a
dedicated wire connecting the terminal device & the server.

So, the "nailed telnet port" became a mechanism to keep some of these
facilities going.

Ross Ferris
Stamina Software
Visage > Better by Design!