On 24/09/2009 16:45, "Doug" <dave...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> George,
>
> We do not do connection pooling or use multiplexing software.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you did.  I was trying to make a
general point that you need connection pooling licences if you connection
pool however you do it.

> We scale quite remarkable well.  We have 70 user client running a call
> center with 10 Unidata licenses dedicated to the web.  We have a public
> warehouse client with 4 licenses running 20 users internally and 20
> customers externally.  We have a 175 user running our CRM system using 2
> licenses.

There is a general point here though, supporting 175 users on a 2 license
system is exactly the situation IBM/Rocket are trying to address by forcing
you to have connection pooling licences.  Now don't misunderstand me, I'm
not accusing you of breaking the letter of the license agreement, but I
think it is breaking the intention of it.  Quite what 'connection pooling'
and 'multiplexing' really is can be debated, but essentially what they want
is for you to pay more for databases licenses that support multiple users
than you do that are tied to one user.  And having a small number of
database licenses supporting a large number of users is exactly what you are
doing

George