Bill,

I have my Phantom processes update a status record (in the DICT of the
file related to the Process) with the date/time as the start of each
loop.   Each program has a characteristic sleep time.  The status record
also serves as a run flag which can be set to '0' to stop the phantom.

I built a Inquiry screen that collects all the status records and
displays them.  Any process with an 'out of range' date /time stamp is
suspect (has stopped).

I had at one time a Phantom that watched these status records and
re-launched the phantoms if the date/time was out of range,  but I
discontinued that as it was all too busy.  I cannot think of the last
time I actually had a phantom fail.

We are on HP-UX so I can grep PHANTOM and see the name of the program,
but would not tell me the account it is running in:

        !sh ps -ef | grep PHANTOM

        marcr 19329     1  0 01:41:02 ?         6:26 /usr/ud/bin/udt
PHANTOMHUSH SYS.Z15

Marc Rutherford
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Advanced Bionics LLC