-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin King

Thank you all for the insights; all information is appreciated.

Going back to the beginning, I have been told all along that the original
SQL Server connection works perfectly for my contact.  However, when I RDP
to that server and try to run the exact same query, it fails with this
message:

Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
The OLE DB provider "IBM.UniOLEDB" for linked server "PSI" reported an
error. The provider reported an unexpected catastrophic failure.
Msg 7330, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
Cannot fetch a row from OLE DB provider "IBM.UniOLEDB" for linked server
"PSI".

Note that this purportedly the server that WORKS, not the broken one.  Given
a security context with a specific user ID and password for the linked
server, what in Windows would make this work for one user but not for
another?