In message <4bc5e280.5070...@advantos.net>, Bill Haskett <wphask...@advantos.net> writes
Wol:

What do you consider properly normalized and what example would you give for designing a new mv FILE as a set of nested tables?

Basically, use relational theory. Okay, mv design isn't as clear as for a RDBMS (they force everything into two dimensions - imho a very stupid idea), but the underlying maths provides a solid foundation.

The way I'd do it is to do an EAR (Entity/Attribute/Relationship). Each entity I would aim to put into an individual FILE. All the associated attributes and relationships, I'd analyse using relational theory, then recombine them in NFNF using values and sub-values as required.

This is where the fact that MV is not fully multidimensional can be an advantage, or can be a pain if you need more levels than provided by sub-values. But my rule-of-thumb is that if your FILE primary keys are equivalent to real-world keys, then your design is about right. If you need what looks like a SQL complex key, chances are you're falling into Einstein's "too simple" trap.

That said, I have had some exposure to accounts systems, and doing an EAR on them is likely to be "interesting", let's say ... most of my experience has been in other stuff like bill-of-materials, and statistical analysis of prices.

Thanks,

Bill

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman <pi...@thewolery.demon.co.uk>
'Yings, yow graley yin! Suz ae rikt dheu,' said the blue man, taking the