Knowledge about the platform is certainly a good thing, but is it
"necessary"?

What's wrong with getting root-level Linux or Windows from any
number of providers, and simply hosting your own environment?
This is quite simple, really.  Base pricing ranges from $15/month
though maybe $100/month depending on disk, traffic, and memory.
I know some U2 sites are hosting with CoLo's with various
services totally anyhere from $400 to $800 per month.

My recommendation: Find a low-cost host that provides root access
for Linux or Windows.  Install and configure your U2 environment
within the usual money-back trial period of 30 days or so.  Don't
make any long term commitments.  If you don't like it you have
spent zero to maybe $30.  Once you have the software installed
you will know more about your actual needs.  Then you can decide
whether you need the services of a company like Zumasys (well
recommended with MV expertise) or RackSpace  (well recommended
but no U2-specific experience).

Also consider using Amazon services where you only power-on the
virtual system (and pay for use) when you need it.

Don't want to do this yourself?  Find a well qualified U2 support
company and ask them to do it for you.  Like I said, it's easy,
and they may find themselves creating a whole new line of
business for themselves.

HTH
Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com
remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com/blog
Visit PickWiki.com! Contribute!
http://Twitter.com/TonyGravagno

> From: Tom Whitmore
> We had looked into hosted solutions. Check out Sumasys
> (zumasys.com), they are very knowledgeable about U2, or
RackSpace.