From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Wols Lists
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2010 4:44 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] [U2} Cloud UniVerse?

 On 07/10/10 19:38, Tony Gravagno wrote:
> No one else has mentioned this but there might be a conflict
> between your desire to get "disaster recovery seats" and your
> desire to run reports from a backup system.  Failover systems
> generally should not be used for anything, though some sites do
> use them purely for generating reports from the current but
> otherwise unused data.  I don't know how Rocket licensing works,
> just suggesting that you not be surprised if someone brings this
> up.
In the old VMark/Ardent days, iirc, DR seats cost a quarter the price of
a full seat.

What we did (in the days before this "get a validation code" stuff) was
to have a minimal licence on our DR system, and choose not to have hot
failover. If we'd needed it, we would have relicenced our backup server
with the main licence.

IF that's okay, you'll need to check with Rocket how it works, but you
could have say a four-seat licence on the backup system, pretty much
same hardware as live, with which you could run your reports as
required. Any problems, put your main licence on that box and (iirc)
last time I moved an install the validation code didn't change with
hardware so your original validation code (providing you remembered it)
will validate on that install. Things might have changed since then,
though ...

Cheers,
Wol