There is only 1 program that updates the source file, I was going to add an
execute to the end of it, to build the index when it's done. No programs
access the source file during the course of a normal day, so if an exclusive
lock gets created on it, it won't hold any other processes up.

In this case, it would be fine. Also considering the phantom that runs the
program runs at 5:00am and no one is on the system anyway. I was concerned
that having the index on the other file (which trans to the source file)
would slow down the program that updates the source file, but since it doesn't
that's even better.

George