From: Robert Houben <robert.hou...@fwic.net>
To:   Richard Conway <rich...@rlcnet.co.uk>, U2 Users List
<u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Tuesday Tuesday 09 November 2010 23:25:49
Subject: [U2] Upgrading and Migrating from Unix to Windows

Hi Richard,

We have both a Relational Data Access Server and a "Direct" Data Access Server
that are written in fairly generic PICK/BASIC but with specific subroutines to
do platform-specific stuff.  We run on pretty well all MV platforms including
Unidata, Universe, PI/Open and even some very old Universe versions, both on
Windows and *nix (Unidata on Dec Vax, even.)  We do this with a single code
base for all platforms.

Until you decide that you want to know a specific process number, work with
pipes and O/S files and other things like that, the BASIC code is not only
interoperable, but if the version is even remotely close, you don't normally
have to even compile.  That said, I'd compile just to be safe.

Check your code for any place where you run a command shell program or call an
O/S specific function.  Also check for any pattern in a string that contains
forward slashes.

Your peripherals are a different matter altogether...

Good luck!