On 19/02/11 02:24, Tony Gravagno wrote:
>> From Charlie Noah:
>
>> Tony Gravagno wrote:
>>> Uh, I don't get it.  How are those related?  What trend?
>
>> From: Charlie Noah
>> Silly company names.
>

> Oh, well, Raining Data was an amazingly stupid name for a
> database company.
>
> As to the others, is anything really silly anymore considering
> the names we see every day?
>
> Yahoo!, Google, Bing, Twitter, Facebook, Digg, Drupal, Joomla,
> Mambo, Samba, (or more obscure) Vyatta, Wibiya, Stupeflix,
> Granicus, Zimbra, Xen (or how about Linux distros) Mandriva
> (formerly Mandrake), Ubuntu, Debian, Sabayon, (or just Linux
> release names) Etch, Lenny, Squeeze, Wheezy, Gutsy, Zoot,
> Shrike...
>
> I stopped thinking anything was silly in IT after grep, awk, and
> sed.  The trend started decades ago when names like "Johnson
> Software Co" were all taken.  This is just the world we live in.

To follow Jeff's post ...

Samba - SMB (Simple Message Block) server

Debian - Debbie and Ian's linux

Debian release names, Etch, Lenny, Squeeze, Wheezy, Sarge, Sid - all
come from Toy Story (one of the Debian guys worked on Toy Story, you can
see his name in the credits).

Then what about biff? Named after the writer's dog. Typical for a lot of
unix utilities :-)

Cheers,
Wol