Sheesh, you guys. You were both on the board IIRC when we discussed
whether to pursue setting up as a legal entity in the US and/or
elsewhere. We decided not to do it then. Obviously that could be
discussed again, but I would not fund such an organization if I were
Rocket, and I do not see a compelling reason at this point to organize
as a non-profit in the US.

Here is an off-the-wall or out-of-the-box idea. Is there any interest
in making the umbrella larger by continuing as a U2 user group while
pulling in other MV folks too? comp.databases.pick is not exactly
vibrant right now, most of the Cache' users talk directly with their
direct contacts within InterSystems rather than through their forum. I
don't know how jBASE, Rev, and D3 lists are doing. The OpenQM list
seems talkative enough (although OpenQM is no longer Open IIRC).

I'm just musing, but now that IBM is not the U2 owner, slanting only
toward U2 might not be the best way to accomplish such things as
possibly getting a seat at the NoSQL table, for example. I had
suggested that maybe Spectrum or individual DBMS vendors might want to
try to broaden their own conferences to go beyond MV to pull in some
of the new guys, but I suspect that ship has sailed so that there are
now NoSQL conferences where we could participate.

Again, just thinking out loud. This all might be a bad idea, but it
keeps popping into my head, so I'm shedding it by asking the question.
Would any good come from expanding to become the MVUG? Even when I
write that, I think it is likely a bad idea, given that Spectrum could
fill that role instead, perhaps (but Spectrum is a for profit working
within the MV space, this would be a non-profit working to get
exposure for MV outside of the existing MV space). I dunno. Other
thoughts? --dawn
P.S. Yes, I distracted my kids from their bickering by tossing out new
questions too

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Wols Lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:
> On 19/03/11 20:14, fft2...@aol.com wrote:
>> Rather that if Rocket would provide a budget for outreach, then the U2UG
>> could do outreach.
>
> I thought you said you WEREN'T telling other people what to do!
>
> Who is U2UG? Is it the board? Is it the members? You *are* telling other
> people what to do.
>
> All I can do is repeat what I said before. The board didn't want money,
> because it didn't have the ability to set up a mechanism for spending
> it. Firstly, what currency should it be in? I haven't got a clue what
> currency you would want, but - talking of the board - we could have been
> given GB£, AUS$, US$, and maybe other currencies, I can't remember.
> Where would we have spent it? If it was US$, you've just alienated the
> majority of the board. If it was GB£ or AUS$, you've ignored a large
> chunk of your market.
>
> I repeat. You yourself said that you weren't telling other people what
> to do. Then PLEASE DON'T!
>
> Please STOP TELLING ROCKET TO GIVE MONEY TO U2UG.
>
> Please STOP TELLING U2UG TO SPEND THE MONEY.
>
> We DON'T KNOW HOW TO HANDLE MONEY SO WE DON'T WANT IT !!!
>
> Please STOP TELLING US WHAT TO DO !!!
>
> Cheers,
> Wol (Founder U2UG member. Member of the Founding Board)

Dawn M. Wolthuis

Take and give some delight today