I don't usually contribute much to this forum - but I appreciate the chance to
stay connected via the great posts here. In this case however, I do have some
specific experience relative to this thread that might be beneficial to some.

I've worked as a user, Epicor project manager/consultant, and independent ERP
consultant since 1985 on several Dataworks/Interactive/Platinum/Epicor products
including: DataFlo, Infoflo, and Avante (I've worked with Avante from the
original release to the current version), and now Epicor 9.

Relative to the Progress/SQL conversations: Epicor 9 can run on SQL or
Progress, but our benchmark testing indicated much slower performance on a very
beefy SQL machine. Processes, forms and reports were timed at 1/2 to 1/4 the
speed that they run on an average Progress server. Additionally, Epicor wasted
much of my customer's time claiming that the transition would be simple (it
wasn't), and that SQL would be faster, or equal to Progress (it definitely
wasn't). We gave up and stayed on Progress - but use SQL for our Replication
Server.

Regarding functionality - in my opinion Avante and DataFlo can still run
circles around Epicor 9 in many applications - the E9 design and functionality
is not as deep or well developed yet. However, it is getting most of Epicor's
development resources and attention these days and is getting better quickly. I
wouldn't advise most of my customers to make the leap yet (but maybe in a
couple of years) from Avante/DataFlo to E9, but it was a natural evolution for
my customer that was previously using Vista 8.

In my opinion, the central benefit to E9 over Avante though is the ability to
modify the functionality of the software without modifying the source code.
They do this via Business Process Methods (BPM's) and Personalizations. Screen
layout and fields are also very easy to modify. Extracting and presenting data
is very straightforward and interfaces to MS products pretty seamlessly, in
most cases users can perform extracts to Excel out of the box - no IT interface
required. Sophisticated reports can be quickly and easily developed using E9's
Business Activity Queries (BAQ's) and Dashboards. Both of which can be learned
and used by anyone that could in the past use MS Access or some of Excel's
advanced functions. This limits IT involvement to only very complex report
solutions (which can also be done using BAQ's and Dashboards, but may take a
little more time to develop).

The most obvious advantage comparing Epicor 9 to Avante for the customers that
I have worked with is that making changes to process functionality using
Business Process Methods (BPM's) does not inhibit the company from taking EVERY
patch or upgrade that is offered. NO KNITTING. The BPM's, BAQ's and Dashboards
(custom reports) are easily moved from the previously installed version to the
next. So, every time a new release comes out, IT does a quick 1-2 set-up and
test, training is developed and implemented for new product functionality
associated with the new release (usually less than one week), critical users
exercise and test the new version in the Pilot account, then the upgrade/patch
is rolled out. We can take advantage of new functionality and bug fixes almost
immediately (usually within 2-5 business days of roll-out) without worrying
about which modifications might be stepped on or deleted.

Sometimes the Epicor 9 experience can be very frustrating, but we believe that
Epicor is going in the right direction and within a couple of years E9 will
probably match Avante and DataFlo in functionality.

In spite of some of the pain associated with being part of the rollout of a
new(ish) product, the IT departments at my customers are GLAD that they are on
Epicor 9.

John H Carter III
Impact Business Consulting Corporation
Cell (760) 497-5545