On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 2:39 AM, Wols Lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk>wrote:

> table
> system
> >> >
> > I think you have a case here, although the high availability, high
> > scalability of Cache' might help in that regard. I do not have a clear
> > understanding of possible shredding in either environment.

I didn't feel like looking up the word and as soon as I clicked send, I knew
I intended the word "sharding." I'll admit I haven't looked into exactly
what they mean by this, but I think the idea is to be able to separate sets
of rows, not just partitioning by columns/files.

> Hmmm...
>
> Wheels within wheels etc. I think the ONLY advantage of separate tables
> per file is that it is a convenient abstraction that our minds can grasp
> easily.

For these huge web sites, I think the goals are related to partitioning onto
separate servers.

> Look at Oracle, for example. It prefers not to use a file per database,
> it just grabs a complete raw partition.
>
> The original Pick didn't have the concept of disk at all iirc - it just
> used the disk as persistent virtual memory.
>
> To unix "everything is a file" - a filesystem is, to the kernel, just
> another file.
>
> And once you get to virtual systems within virtual systems within
> virtual systems ... :-)

> At the end of the day, whether it's local or in the cloud or in a colo

I had to look up colo

> or whatever, what you need is a decent backup strategy :-)

(and recovery!) but also a means to grow large without only a single central
server stragey. I have looked at the ECP info from InterSystems
http://www.intersystems.com/highavailability/ecp.html but have not looked at
what might be analogous from U2 lately.   --dawn

> Cheers,
> Wol

Dawn M. Wolthuis

Take and give some delight today