I certainly agree with the concept of pro-actively pushing information to
people via email. Information can be readily accessed from virtually any device
(even the desktop!), and if these notifications are triggered by critical
business events, as well as standard daily reports, then it just helps the
overall feature set of the system

The same technology can then also be used to push SMS to mobiles, as there are
a myriad of email --> SMS solutions available. We have clients who have been
doing this for over a decade, especially in industries where your customers are
pretty well guaranteed to have a phone on their hips (anyone seen a locksmith
WITHOUT a mobile :-)

Ross Ferris
Stamina Software
Visage > Better by Design!

<SNIP>

Finally the issue is the cost benefit analysis.  Do I write an app that allows
executives to access KPIs from my application.   Would sending them an email
with the KPIs be far cheaper and simpler.   At what point is it productivity
and at what point is it playing with technology.