1) I work for a business and write business applications.I have no interest in writing Rag Doll Blaster or Angry Birds for U2. Well, other than the resulting large stacks of cash which would enable me to buy a Ducati 1198s without getting killed by my wife.

2) Apparently. In my case I'm doing what pretty much every U2 software developer has been doing for the last 10 years. Putting a happy GUI front end on what were some green screen applications. These just happen to run on Symbol Mobile Computer/Scanners under Windows Mobile and Windows CE. I also have done some as ASP.NET web applications which I love because then you can run them on anything with a web browser. I selected Win Mobile native as the platform for the one I'm currently doing just because of screen real estate considerations on the Symbol Guns. Their former incarnations meant firing up Portable Putty and establishing an SSH connection logging in a a specific user which would then trigger the specific application required, like order picking, restocking, or cycle counting to name a few. As a bonus, the new versions allow us to do things we could not do before, like press the "Image" button to display a picture of what an item in a pick list looks like. This is quite useful in a retail environment where we have a wall of 6 shelves of things with a description like: "Black Nike Ball Cap".

3) Not me. I always strive to be ahead of what my users want/need. And I like playing with new stuff as much as the next geek.

Tony Gravagno wrote:
Since it's a little slow here I'll open a discussion which is
borderline between Tech and Community.

The thread "Uniobjects.Net Compact Framework and Visual Basic"
had an interesting resolution.  I'd like to see more discussions
on that topic.

If only there were enough people interested in mobile
connectivity, I'd get a WinMobile to replace my old Win PDA
devices, and offer app development services for these devices.
I've blogged about mobile development and have written
proof-of-concept apps.  But there is never a critical mass of
demand for any device (Win, Android, iPhone, Blackberry, etc) to
justify the investment required to do a lot of this.

What I'm wondering of the U2 audience is:

1) Is there little to no interest in mobile computing for U2
systems despite hundreds of thousands of apps satisfying a hunger
in the mobile-user marketplace?

If that's the case, it's no wonder the Pick community continues
to lose market share.

2) Is everyone with interest happily doing development
internally?

If that's the case, I'm surprised there isn't more discussion
here.  What are you folks doing to create mobile apps for your U2
business systems?

3) Are people resigned to "I don't know how to do this therefore
my company won't do it"?

Unfortunately that sort of thinking is quite common in the
general Pick community, and it's no less than suicidal for the
market and individual careers.  In short - if you don't do it,
you will be replaced by those who do - as many of you have seen
over the years.

So where do U2 developers stand with mobile?  Personally I'm
doing a lot with SMS rather than trying to write apps for every
phone (all based on MV).  That's just my solution.  I'm also
doing a lot with voice/telephony, virtual PBX integration for
companies that want to shift from hardware solutions to more
versatile phone systems backed by MV.  This is only "mobile"
because some companies have decided to forego the pleasures of
the GUI for common voice menus.  It's just another solution where
mobile computing was once considered.

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com