> From: David
> Have a client who has been on Eclipse since
> 2000. They are sick to death with the nickle and dime
> (read eye gouge) tactics by Activant and want out.
>
> Do you think Open Bravo or any of the other Open
> source ERP products could replace it. Obviously with a
> lot of customization.

I'm hoping they consider migration to another MV-based platform
rather than doing the multi-whammy : changing DBMS, application,
vendors, and employees.  There are many fine ERP packages based
on MV.  The company should check with Rocket Software, and since
they're considering a full migration anyway I believe they should
also talk with Northgate, InterSystems, and TigerLogic, who all
have vendors with large-scale packages.  If they don't find what
they need, sure, consider going elsewhere.

Yes, to answer the questions, FOSS ERP platforms have been
getting more robust and are worthy of investigation.  I don't
have stats right now but not long ago something like 12 out of
the top 20 SourceForge projects were ERP - not the typical stuff
we see there like torrent client/server, Linux tools, or games.
I've said for years that MV-based ERP vendors were going to lose
their shirts to those other offerings if they didn't learn to
adapt and compete.  Well, here we are.

Hint to MV application vendors:  Open Source your software, sell
support and development services, and market that model to the
mainstream.  That's what your modern competitors are doing.  And
really, isn't that sort of what you've been doing for decades
anyway, just not advertising it?  Then you just need to get the
DBMS vendors to open their eyes and recognize that the per-seat
licensing model has been dead for at least a decade...

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com